Silverlight 2 is a cross-platform browser plug-in that enables rich media experiences and .NET RIAs (Rich Internet Applications) within the browser.
Silverlight 2 is small in size (4.6MB) and takes only 4-10 seconds to install on a machine that doesn’t already have it. It does not require the .NET Framework to be installed on a computer to run – the Silverlight setup download includes everything necessary to play video or run applications.
That looks promising, especially if you are a .Net programmer like me. But let’s not forget that I’m a programmer and not a designer so my app won’t look as cool as it could.
I’m not convinced yet that Silverlight won’t go the same way as flash. And by that I mean that flash is being misused for advertising and moving things on a website. I hate things that flicker and move while watching a website, probably because most of those things are advertising. The whole advertising thing made people grab onto tools like adblock plus for firefox, or other flash adblocking programs.
Here are some of the suggested remedies.
Of course we all know that Youtube does have a good application for flash movies.
So I went out to see if people are coming up with any cool things for Silverlight yet.
- A list of Silverlight apps with sourcecode.
- This is a way cool and addictive game. My computer seemed to have some performance problems with it.
- Silverlight airlines. User friendly? Only if you give them the manual. I’m sure my parents won’t be able to use it. But cool none the less.
- Tetris. I think only Cobol doesn’t have a Tetris implementation
- dr.popper. Another game
- DeepearthPlayin with maps. A bit like googlemaps.
So the cool things are happening and are possible. We will see what the future brings but I think we should start installing Silverlight, it’s out there and it will be used.