This 490-page document covers the essential phases and steps to upgrade existing instances of SQL Server 2000 and 2005 to SQL Server 2008 by using best practices. These include preparation tasks, upgrade tasks, and post-upgrade tasks. It is intended to be a supplement to SQL Server 2008 Books Online.
- Chapter 1 gives an overview of the technical issues and decisions that are involved in an upgrade to SQL Server 2008, as well as recommendations for planning and deploying an upgrade.
- Chapter 2 addresses issues related to upgrading to SQL Server 2008 Management Tools.
- Chapters 3 through 8 focus on upgrade issues for SQL Server relational databases.
- Chapter 9 addresses upgrading to SQL Server 2008 Express.
- Chapters 10 through 14 focus on upgrading to SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence
components: Analysis Services, Data Mining, Integration Services, and Reporting Services.
- Chapter 15 addresses the implications of upgrading to SQL Server 2008 for other Microsoft applications and platforms.
- Appendix 1 contains a table of allowed SQL Server 2008 version and edition upgrade paths.
- Appendix 2 contains an upgrade planning checklist.
Download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=66D3E6F5-6902-4FDD-AF75-9975AEA5BEA7&displaylang=en